The District is accepting proposals for the provision of the following Wildlife Coordination and Education Services:
- Prepare and maintain a bear hazard assessment of the community and surrounding areas.
- Prepare and maintain a human-bear conflict management plan which is designed to address conflicts identified in Deliverable 1 above.
- Revise planning and decision making documents to be consistent with bear-human conflict management plan.
- Implement a continuing education program directed at all sectors of the community which is consistent with the Bear Smart standard.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of a bear proof waste management system.
- Assist with the development and implementation of “Bear Smart” / Wildlife Attractant bylaws.
- Develop and prepare an annual report to council.
- Facilitate and chair wildlife working group meetings with stakeholders monthly from April 1 to October 31.
- Prepare a coordinated action plan twice a year with the District’s bylaw enforcement team.
- Provide other services in connection with the above as requested.
- Work closely with Bylaw Enforcement, Animal Control, Squamish Nation, Conservation Officer’s Service FLNRO and the RCMP. Assist DOS with ensuring Bear Smart community status is maintained.
- Work with DOS Communications Department to develop wildlife conflict prevention messaging and to highlight known conflict hot-spots as they are discovered.
Click here for more information.