In 2014, 2015 and 2016 the CSEE student and postdoc representatives organized student workshops during the annual meeting, with the help of the local LOC students. The workshop took place in a pub during and evening. The event was structured as a number of tables with one topic addressed at each, such as:
- Finding scholarship opportunities and writing scholarship applications,
- Choosing where to do your MSc/PhD/PDF (what things to look for in a lab and a location),
- Advice for students hoping to do a degree/post-doc abroad,
- Academic job applications (research and teaching positions),
- Careers in government/industry,
- Tips for writing your MSc/PhD thesis,
- Creating work/life balance,
- How to juggle kids and academic careers
Between one and three faculty members, postdoctoral fellows, or people with non-academic positions were selected for each table. Workshop attendees then moved around the different topics that they are interested in. This workshop is designed to be a safe space where students and postdocs can ask questions and receive advice from experienced people in a relaxed ambience. This event has been a big success in the past, and a great opportunity for networking.
We are planning to organize a similar workshop for the 2017 meeting in Victoria. Stay tuned for more details and the list of topics/speakers!